The Discussion Board (DB) is part of the core of online learning. Classroom discussion in an online environment requires the active participation of students and the instructor to create robust interaction and dialogue. Every student is expected to create an original response to the open-ended DB question as well as engage in dialogue by responding to posts created by others throughout the week. At the end of each unit, DB participation will be assessed based on both level of engagement and the quality of the contribution to the discussion.
At a minimum, each student will be expected to post an original and thoughtful response to the DB question and contribute to the weekly dialogue by responding to at least two other posts from students. The first contribution must be posted before midnight (Central Time) on Wednesday of each week. Two additional responses are required after Wednesday of each week. Students are highly encouraged to engage on the Discussion Board early and often, as that is the primary way the university tracks class attendance and participation.
The purpose of the Discussion Board is to allow students to learn through sharing ideas and experiences as they relate to course content and the DB question. Because it is not possible to engage in two-way dialogue after a conversation has ended, no posts to the DB will be accepted after the end of each unit.
Anatomy of the Required Discussion Board Assignment
Required Discussion Board posts are in 2 parts within 1 posting. In the first part of your post, define and discuss the topic in academic terms, using citations and referencing, just as you will for any formal academic paper. This is where you demonstrate that you know the concepts. The second part of the required assignment is for application of the concepts. This is where you demonstrate that you know how to use the concepts you have learned.
A. Questions for weekly discussions and conversations (not part of the required Discussion Board assignment)
These questions can serve as the starting point for your discussions during the week. They are â€œthought starters,â€ so that you can explore some ideas associated with the Discussion Board and unit topics. Answers are not required and should not be submitted with your required assignment. Answers are not graded.
- Does society overmedicate its citizens?
- How is diet connected with neurotransmitter production?
B. Required Discussion Board assignment
Based on your reading of the text and supporting materials, it is evident that neurotransmitters play a crucial role in regulating brain function involved with cognition, affect, and behavior.
- Define neurotransmitters, and describe how they do their jobs.
- Discuss neurotransmitter excitation and inhibition.
Pick1 of the following topics on which to comment:
- Give an example of, and discuss how neurotransmitters play a role in your psychological health. Use examples such as sleeping, eating, memory, thinking, or mood. Pick an example from 1 of these human functions. For example, â€œI donâ€™t sleep well; it could be because of serotonin imbalance,â€ or â€œWhen I feel good, my dopamine is flowing.â€
- This company sells dietary supplements to boost neurotransmitter production. This page defines neurotransmitters. Why might it not be desirable to use this as a source for an academic paper on neurotransmitters?
In your own words, please post a response to the Discussion Board and comment on other postings. You will be graded on the quality of your postings. Be sure to cite all references in APA format.