Assignment 2: Negotiation, Ethics and Effective Leadership
The purpose of this assignment is to examine the relationship between negotiation, ethics, and effective leadership.
Use the Argosy University online resources or other credible sources on the Internet to locate and explore examples of President Obamaâ€™s negotiation and leadership skills with Iranian leaders in 2009. Evaluate how effective or ineffective his skills are in regard to U.S. relations with Iran and complete the following tasks:
- Explore the role of deception and ethics in negotiation. Cite at least two examples of possible deception in the President Obama and Iranian leadersâ€™ negotiation.
- Discuss the effectiveness of President Obamaâ€™s negotiation tactics and explain how interests, goals, power and style impact the negotiation skills of a leader.
- Describe and explain at least two tactics such as threats, ultimatums, bullying, blocking etc. which may have been used to derail the negotiation between the President and Iranian leaders.
- Describe which rules of negotiation may have been broken during these negotiations. Use examples to support your response.
- Discuss at least two strategies or actions which could have been adopted by the President to improve these negotiations. Justify your response.
Complete a 4- to 5 page research essay in Word format, citing at least three credible sources of information. Apply current APA standards for writing style to your work.
Use the following file-naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M4_A2.doc. For example, if your name is John Smith, your document will be named SmithJ_M4_A2.doc.
By Wednesday, July 31, 2013, deliver your assignment to the M4: Assignment 2 Dropbox.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Explained the role of deception and ethics in negotiation and cited two examples.||
|Discussed the effectiveness of President Obamaâ€™s negotiation tactics and explained how interests, goals, power, and style impact negotiation skills in a leadership position.||
|Described at least two tactics that may have been used to derail negotiation between the President and Iranian leaders.||
|Described which rules of negotiations may have been broken during these negotiations.||
|Discussed at least two actions or strategies which could have been implemented to improve the negotiation.||
|Applied current APA standards for editorial style, expression of ideas, and format of text, citations, and references.||